Welcome to IjoBABY’s new Friday column, ButterFridays! ButterFridays is a weekly column dedicated to IjoBABY topics. The idea to call our column ButterFridays was evoked by our colorful IjoBABY logo & the day of Friday.
Butterfly logo + Day of Friday = ButterFridays!
On this ButterFriday, we'll explore some fun homemade projects you can create with your little ones. Instead of spending big bucks at the store or buying a potentially toxic product, we will learn some easy recipes to create your own!
1. Homemade Play Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp oil
- Food Coloring
- 2 cups boiling water
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the center and add oil and coloring.
3. Pour in boiling water and mix.
4. It will look like a goopy mess and you're going to be sure that you're going to have to add a lot of flour to make it work. Just let it sit for a few minutes. It will firm up and work perfectly.
5. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it a bit to form a ball.
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- Food Coloring
- 2 cups water
1. Mix dry ingredients in small saucepan.
2. Warm until mixture thickens.
3. Cool and pour in containers.
4. Add food coloring to create desired colors.
- Toilet paper tubes (As many as you'd like, each tube will be a block of chalk).
- 1 cup of Plaster of Paris per tube of toilet paper.
- 1/2 cup of water per tube.
- 2 Tbsp. Liquid Tempera Paint per tube .
- Duct Tape.
- Aluminum foils or wax paper.
- Disposable plastic container.
1. Cover one end of the toilet paper with duct tape.
2. Cover the inside of the tube with aluminum foil (or wax paper), fitting snugly.
3. Set the tube upright with the duct tape side on the table.
4. Mix plaster of Paris with water.
5. Stir until plaster is dissolved.
6. Add paint and mix thoroughly.
7. Spoon the mixture into the tube and tap gently so it settles to the bottom.
8. Let dry overnight.
4. Homemade Goo
- 8 oz (1 big bottle or 2 small) White glue
- 1-1/2 cups Water, on hand
- 1 tsp Borax
1. Pour glue into a bowl.
2. Fill glue bottle with warm water and shake to get all the glue out of the bottle. Pour into bowl. Add food coloring if desired.
3. Add 1 teaspoon Borax to 1/2 cup of warm water and stir.
4. Pour Borax-water solution into bowl and mix. Long strings will immediately form. Continue to mix until smooth.
5. Store in a zip-top bag or sealed container.